Friday, May 27, 2011

My greatest blessings call me Mom...

My sweet sons, made my favorite breakfast and served me all day! (Thanks Clark for teaching them how to love me)

mother (muth'er) n. 1. a female parent 2. the origin of something (Webster's New World Dictionary)

Never has there been a greater understatement than this definition!  As a child I never had any greater role model I could look to than my Mother, as an adult there isn't anything I hold more sacred than my calling as a Mother.  I have been smiled on by the Heavens, and have a been given a Mother that made me want to be  Mom so badly I could taste it.  I also have 2 Grandmothers, one still here with me and one passed on that have influenced me in every corner of my life.  I have a Mother in Law that treats me as if I were her own, and raised a son that allows me to grow in my own role as a Mother, I have a sister that shows me how being a Mom means sometimes letting go and trusting they will be OK.
One of the greatest gifts that I have received from being a Mom for almost a decade is not only my capacity for love has increased, but I gained through the years a quiet confidence that I can do and be anything that my children may need.  My heart is full of so much gratitude and admiration for all the Mother's in my life, I am constantly watching and learning from them ways to do better and be better.
Grandma Flygare (or Grandma "Corn Flakes", as Jantzen calls her) has been gone for a little more than a year now, and I still miss her everyday.  She taught me so much by word and by action.  As the last year has past I have come to realize just how much I depended on her to coach me through those tough "Mommy Moments".  With her kind sweet voice, and the unconditional love that is unique to a Grandma she helped me through so many days when I felt like I just wasn't getting it right.  I was blessed to be able to tell her how much she meant to me when she was still here, but I didn't even understand how much that was until she was gone.  She raised 5 boys, and so I knew that if she said it could be done with five, two should be a piece of cake.  She taught me to be more patient, to not get worked up over things I couldn't change, and most of all she would say to me when I was getting overwhelmed with all a Mommy's duties, "Sweetheart -- it will keep."  She was truly an Angel here on earth, and now I know she is with her own dear Mother, that she loves so much.  I can still feel her supporting and cheering us on, even now!

"If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been." 
~  Robert Brault

No comments: